WELCOME

Blog Stats

Locations of visitors to this page

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Nalladhor Veenai

This has been a favorite of mine from my 6th or 7th grade. That was a time when I never seem to understand the song. But loved the way, it was rendered by SPB in K.B’s Varumaiyin Niram Sigappu. The combination of music and the voice were really catchy. Being one of the popular songs of Barathi, this one has been rendered by almost all of the leading singers. But some how, I like this one and the one rendered by Rajkumar Barathi in Ezhavadhu Manidhan the best.

You can also listen to many others if you do a search on Music India Online under S on this page. They have some 3 entries with different spellings for Barathi.

But as years passed and as I started seeing life as it was, some of Barathi’s songs did make me feel better at those moments, when I had felt really down in life. They have taken care to help me bounce back to enthusiasm. They have made me believe that things can be achieved. Helped me to believe in God.

In this particular song the poet portrays a mood where he is very depressed. He is not seeing things go the way he wants it. He has been trying hard and the world does not seem to allow him to go the way he wants. As usual he does the same thing that he does always. Turns to his only solace Sivasakthi or Sakthi as he sometimes calls her. His Mother, God, the Life Giver, his Goddess. He believes in this all pervading energy called Sakthi and is happy at her feet, wanting to keep singing her praises always.


But with so many needs in this life to just make an ordinary living, we get to feel defeated so many times. It’s the soul’s lament not to feel defeated. That’s how I look at this song.

The poet is asking his Sakthi, if she will let him to rot, after having given him everything in the form of raw material. Is it not her duty to take care of the seed sown? That’s crux of this song.

Note: I have transliterated the Tamil lyrics. They are bold and
italicized
with the translation being followed in regular font.It is a crude translation
and is my humble attempt in translating my favorite poet.

Nalladhor Veenai Seidhey Adhai Nalan Keda Puzhudhiyil Erivadhundo?
Solladi Sivasakthi, Ennai Sudar migum arivudan Padaithu Vittai.
Vallamai Thaarayo, indha maanilam payanura vaazhvadharke?
Solladi Sivasakthi, Nila sumaiyena vaazhndhida puriguvaiyo?

Tell me O’ Sivasakthi, will one throw away into trash—a perfectly crafted musical instrument?

You have created me excellently well with a great wisdom.
Tell me O’ Sivasakthi, will You not give me the strength and power—
To be of any value to Mother Earth or will You let me be a burden on this land?

Visaiyuru bandhinai pol ullam vendiya padi sellum udal ketten
Nasaiaru manam ketten, Nitham navam ena sudar tharum uyir ketten
Dhasaiyinai Thee Sudinum, Sivasakthiyai paadum naal Agam Ketten
Asaivaru Madhi Ketten, Ivai Arulvadhil unnkkedhum thadai ulladho?

All I ask for is—
A body that would obey the commands of my heart—with the swiftness of a thrown ball;
A clean enthusiastic spirit;

A life that springs anew into being daily: bright and energetic;
A pure soul—to sing Your praises even when the skin is scorched by fire;
An unshakable mind—

Do You have any issues in granting me these?

7 comments:

priti said...

Again a very good job vidya....Have you heard Bombay Jayashree's version of this song??? That was the first time i heard this song...very soulful rendition for the beautiful song :-)...and thanks a bunch for visitng my blog and commenting :)

Vidya said...

I have been hearing and reading Barathi right from my school days. It was my Dad who introduced me to him. My Dad is crazy about Barathi. And as for BJ, I do like her. But then there are some combinations that just stay with you. May be because you heard them first or the time you heard them made the impact or what I do not know. But some how, I have always found SPB's and RB's rendition to be the best that suits my expectations I guess.

Thanks a lot all your kind appreciation :)

Anonymous said...

heyy vidhu kalakara :))

Vidya said...

@Dubbuks - Thanks da! :)

ராமகிருஷ்ணன் ராஜகோபாலன் said...

Good Work...Hope we can expect more from you in this line...I love bharathi...but the bad thing is that only few of his has become famous (i mean the general public) because of music and media..there are lots and lots yet to be admired...We are so fortunate to live in an era that speaks and felicitate Bharathi...

Another good aspect of this is that...there are lot of tamil guys who dont know tamil...i pity them (dont take in wrong sense.. its a compassionate expression)...because there are a lot to love and enjoy in tamil..hope this really gives them a great taste and love for the poet.

Hope you continue this way...Wishes!

Vidya said...

@குடந்தைக் குழந்தை -- Thanks a bunch!

So very true. I agree to you. There are so many good ones that haven’t been popularized. Also, he did not get the kind of sanction he deserved both then and now. There are so many issues, that you can keep talking and I can go on and on. Also, my knowledge is limited.

// We are so fortunate to live in an era that speaks and felicitate Bharathi.// I accept that 100%.

And as for people not knowing to read tamil, it’s a pity. But then, hopefully, some do make an attempt to read translations. Thanks to my parents, I know my mother-tongue. Again, that’s a topic that can be debated on its own.

Am poor at typing in tamil though :) I do not have the patience to learn it either. :)

Anonymous said...

Check these out. You might like them too!!

http://www.sarav.net/?p=192
http://www.sarav.net/?p=113
http://www.sarav.net/?p=54
http://www.sarav.net/?p=53

Copyright information

All content contained in this site is copyrighted, © 2011 Vidya, and may not be distributed, modified, reproduced in whole or in part without prior written consent. To request said consent, please leave a comment on that particular post.

Quote

Happiness is a state of mind. It's not dictated by outward circumstances -- really. Learning to see a situation as it is, not as you hoped or feared it would be, is one of the keys to being content. -- Unknown
Powered By Blogger