WELCOME

Blog Stats

Locations of visitors to this page

Friday, December 15, 2006

Desa Muthumaari

In this song Barathiyaar personifies the all pervading Goddess Shakthi as Desa Muthumaari. It is a lovely poem where the soul in pursuit of worldly riches feels defeated and is upset about the failures and the still yearning for more. And to that soul, he says, submit unto Her and rejoice and be happy in this world and in the life that you lead.

Sometimes, I feel was it to himself that he wrote these. It sure is from an anguished soul. You can make that out from the lyrics that the author wants to just submit no questions asked.

Note: I have transliterated the Tamil lyrics. They are bold and italicized
with the translation being followed in regular font.It is a crude translation
and is my humble attempt in translating my favorite poet.


Thedi Unnai Charanadaindhen Desa Muthumari

Kedadhanai Neekiduvai, Kettavaram Tharuvai

After having searched all over I come to You and submit unto You DM!
Remove all impurities and bestow me with the boons I ask.

Paadiyunai Charanadaindhen Paasamellam Kalaivai

Kodi Nalan Cheidhiduvai Kuraigallellam Theerpai

Singing your praises I submit unto you. Remove all sorts of love and affections I have.
Bless me with goodness and remove all my inaccuracies.

Eppozhudhum Kavalaiyile Enangi Nirpan Paavi
Oppiyunadheval Seiven, Unadharulal Vaazhven

I am always drowned in misery and sorrow about one thing or the other,
Will accept you and answer your beck and call, will live this life as a fruit of your blessing.

Shakthiyendru Neramellam Thamizh Kavidhai Paadi
Bhakthiyudam Potri Nindral Bayamanaithum Theerum

By singing Tamil poems in the name of shakthi at all times with devotion,
All these unwanted and fears will cease to exist!

Aadharam Shakthiendrey Arumaraigal Koorum
Yaadhenum Thozhil Purivom, Yaadhum Aval Thozhilaam


All scriptures lead unto Shakthi as the centre of everything.
Let us do some work to lead a life, all work are her work.

Thunbamey Iyarkaiennum Sollai Marandhiduvom
Inbamey Vendi Nirpom Yaavum Aval Tharuvaal

Let us forget that pain is but natural and
Ask her for only happiness and she would give all that we need in plenty.

Nambinaar Keduvadhillai Idhu Naangu Marai Theerpu
Ambigaiyai Charanpugundhal Adhiga Varam Peralam

Believe and thou shall not be let down, is how all religions and scriptures conclude
Belive in Her and Submit unto Her to She would bless you abundantly
!

Update on 10/9/2007 Tuesday:

I found this version by Rajkumar Barati's Thedi Unnai Charanadaindhen Desa Muthumari from You Tube. He has done a great job and I saw/listened to it quite a few times.

But somehow, I still like the version of Unni Krishnan better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! It was interesting to read. As mentioned, I can speak tamil but can't understand the pure tamil language and definitely can't read it.

Vidya said...

Am so happy that his songs are reaching someone because of this simple thing that I can do, though I know for sure, I am not doing justice. thanks Vi

tried searching for a link from where you can hear the song, but was unlucky in my search :(

Premalatha said...

Vidya,


Chenthil's version of some of Bharathiyar's translations.. I thought you might be interested in it.

Premalatha said...

Also, would you like some help in typing in tamil?

http://gilli.in/readwrite-in-tamil/

Agnibarathi said...

Hello Vidya,

Excellent translation of the great poet's work! Please let me know if you will be interested in helping me here . I'm planning to turn this into a repository with explanations and translations from many people. Please consider this an invitation for the blog as well. ippNiyil iNainththAl mikka magizci adaivEn! :)

Vidya said...

@Premalatha -- Thanks so much!

@Agnibarathi -- Thanks a lot! Will let you know. Thanks again!

Copyright information

All content contained in this site is copyrighted, © 2011 Vidya, and may not be distributed, modified, reproduced in whole or in part without prior written consent. To request said consent, please leave a comment on that particular post.

Quote

Happiness is a state of mind. It's not dictated by outward circumstances -- really. Learning to see a situation as it is, not as you hoped or feared it would be, is one of the keys to being content. -- Unknown
Powered By Blogger