WELCOME

Blog Stats

Locations of visitors to this page

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Acham Illai

This is a one of the many favorites again. This one is on the FEAR that ends up engulfing us many times due to many reasons. Every time, I listen to it, I wonder what would have propelled the poet to come up with a song like this. I always question the mind set, that he must have had when he came up with the lyrics. Wondering at all these makes me pay repeated salutes to the Mahakavi.
  1. The poet is not very happy in his personal life.
  2. He is not happy with the way India is still under the British rule.
  3. He is not understood by many and is not bothered about it.
  4. He is been accused of causing disturbances among people and is searched by the police for coming up with songs and writings favoring the Freedom Movement.
  5. Not wanting to land up in the Jail, he has been repeatedly running away to Pondicherry.
With so much happening in his life, I am not sure when he wrote this poem. But the way he had written it is surely sometime, when he must have let himself to fear for some brief moments or when some one must have really tried to create fear in him. Or it could even be, seeing the fear in people’s eyes around him as a result of the British rule, he might have sung it to make people get out the fear and go ahead with their duty and believe in themselves.

What I like most about the song is with all the serious stuff, he has also added young women casting their eyes upon him. That is where he talks about diversion. You can find so many different layers of meaning into the song. Just go ahead in your path and eventually you will be where you want to be. Have no fear. That is how I take this song for me. Whatever this song has a way of making you feel confident in doing your stuff after listening to it and has been a favorite of mine right from my 2nd grade or 3rd grade.

The refrain Acham Illai has a nice ring to it and SPB would have sung it beautifully in the movie called Ezhavadhu Manithan. L. Vaidhiyanathan had a very different way of composing music for the same. One of my favorite rendition of the song.

You can hear all the songs from the movie Ezhavadhu Manithan here. It also has the above said one. Lyrics for all the songs in that movie were Mahakavi’s.

Note: I have transliterated the Tamil lyrics. They are bold and italicized
with the translation being followed in regular font.It is a crude translation
and is my humble attempt in translating my favorite poet.


Acham Illai, Acham Illai, Acham enbadhillaiye
Ichagathullor ellam edhirthu nindra podhilum
Acham Illai, Acham Illai, Acham enbadhillaiye


I have no fear. No, not a trace of it!
Let the whole world turn against and confront me;
I have no fear. No, not a trace of it!


Thuchamaga enni nammai thooru seidha podhilum
Acham Illai, Acham Illai, Acham enbadhillaiye


Let it be that I am treated as dust and be abused
I have no fear. No, not a trace of it!


Pichai vaangi unnum vaazhkai petru vitta podhilum
Acham Illai, Acham Illai, Acham enbadhillaiye


Let it be that I have to beg for food;
I have no fear. No, not a trace of it!

Ichai konda porul ellam ezhandhu vitta podhilum
Acham Illai, Acham Illai, Acham enbadhillaiye

Let it be that I have lost all that is close to my heart;
I have no fear. No, not a trace of it!

Kachanidha Kongai Maadhar Kangal Veesum Podhilum
Acham Illai, Acham Illai, Acham enbadhillaiye

Let young beautiful women cast their eyes on me;
I have no fear. No, not a trace of it!


Nachai Vayile Konarndhu Nanbar Ootum Podhilum
Acham Illai, Acham Illai, Acham enbadhillaiye

Let a friend feed me poison;
I have no fear. No, not a trace of it!

Pachai Yuniyaindha Verpadaigal Vandha Podhilum
Acham Illai, Acham Illai, Acham enbadhillaiye

Let an army come clad in their military uniform;
I have no fear. No, not a trace of it!

Uchi meedhu vaan idindhu veezhugindra podhilum
Acham Illai, Acham Illai, Acham enbadhillaiye

Let the sky come crumbling down on my head;
I still have no fear. No, not a trace of it!

4 comments:

Agnibarathi said...

A nice translation (even though its not completely faithful). Would you mind if I put up links to this post when I translate this poem on my BLOG? Just wanted to check your permission!

Vidya said...

no problem, go ahead and link it, and if possible, when doing it, leave a comment on mine with a link to your translation please :)

Agnibarathi said...

Hi Vidya, I've linked it in the first part of the translation. Kindly see - http://bharathiyaar.blogspot.com/2007/01/madmans-song.html I shall provide it as a separate link again (rather than a passing reference in the midst of the translation) at the end of the final post.

Vidya said...

Thanks a bunch Agnibarathi!

Copyright information

All content contained in this site is copyrighted, © 2011 Vidya, and may not be distributed, modified, reproduced in whole or in part without prior written consent. To request said consent, please leave a comment on that particular post.

Quote

Happiness is a state of mind. It's not dictated by outward circumstances -- really. Learning to see a situation as it is, not as you hoped or feared it would be, is one of the keys to being content. -- Unknown
Powered By Blogger